Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #35: Data Cleansing Practice

Chandan79
5 - Atom

Here is my solution to the challenge.

Best,

Chandan 

jyothiki
7 - Meteor

Good for practice.

OwenBData
8 - Asteroid

My submission!

JasonHu
8 - Asteroid

Here is my submission:

Spoiler
workflow.png
mithily
8 - Asteroid

I used regex for the second, a simple select change for the first and then the good ole formula tool for the last two. This was easy but very nice to do 

simbert
8 - Asteroid

Never used the trim function so much in my life!

collinalldata
7 - Meteor

Here's my solution. Almost got them all in one tool!

Steph_Maddrell
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached

rajatsadan
8 - Asteroid

Hi @GeneR ,

Interesting challenge!! Please find the solution. I am having one doubt regarding the last data cleansing question. 

1. If more than 8 chars, remove anything after 8. If only 6, add “SC” to the front.
Spoiler
Spoiler

For solving this I used formula tool and inserted "IF ELSE' condition to check both conditions. 

My statement is as follows to get the solution  :

if Length([Safety Code])=6 then [Safety Code]+"SC"

else if Length([Safety Code])>8
then Substring([Safety Code],0,8)
else [Safety Code]

endif

endif

My doubt is that, why do I need to enter two 'end if' statements while closing the formula??

The standard formula in Alteryx tab is IF c THEN t ELSEIF c2 THEN t2 ELSE f ENDIF

When I tried closing the condition with a single 'end if' statement, the workflow shows the following error: Error: Formula (157): Parse Error at char(150): Malformed If Statement (Expression #1)

So I had to add the second 'end if' statement. 

Would be helpful if anyone could throw some light. Thanks!!

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @rajatsadan ,
I've just had a look at your workflow and I understand the problem you were facing, as it's something I've done before too! You are right to say that the typical if/else statement should only have one 'endif' to end it. What I found is that you had opened a second if statement in your second line of code:

Spoiler
TheOC_0-1601809290681.png

The correct syntax would be 'elseif', as the space opens up the else statement, and its possible to have more if statements within an else statement.

I have attached a workflow with a fixed formula, with the second endif removed and the space removed!

I hope I explained it in a way that makes sense, but if not feel free to PM/DM me and i'll try to explain it further 🙂 

Bulien