community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.
Announcement | Get certified today - take the Alteryx Designer Core and Advanced exams on-demand now!

Challenge #28: Formatting Morningstar Data

Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The link to last week’s challenge (challenge #27) is HERE

Sorry for the delay this week.  Yesterday (Monday) was Memorial Day, a US holiday to honor those that died in active military service.   This will be the last challenge until June 13th due to the Alteryx Inspire Conference being held next week in San Diego California.  For those of you attending the conference there will be a group review of this challenge at the community hub where you can share your solution.  It should be a great way to see firsthand how many possible solutions a single exercise can have.   We may even come up with a prize for the most elegant solution presented by a customer.  

The challenge requires you to prepare and format a data feed coming from a financial service API.    

Use Case:  A company has to process Morningstar Data detailing American Funds Fixed Income Funds for their visualization tool.  Today this is a manual process in Excel.

Objective:  Please build a process in Alteryx that automates the formatting of the daily data feed.

Note: This data comes in daily and is always in the exact same format.

I look forward to meeting many of you at Inspire 2016!

Asteroid

Spoiler

Capture.JPG

Build date

IF StartsWith([F1],'Ranks') THEN
  Replace(F1,'Ranks as of ','')
ELSE
  [Row-1: Date]
ENDIF

Build ShareClass

IF IsNull(F2) AND NOT IsNull(F1) AND NOT StartsWith(F1,'Ranks') THEN
  [F1]
ELSE
  [Row-1: ShareClass]
ENDIF

Creative Director
Creative Director

A Solution has been posted. Drop by the Solution Center June 7 at noon to review with Gene, We are at the  Community Hub.

Tara McCoy
Alteryx Certified Partner

@JoeM,

That was a challenge.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Nebula
Nebula

Tackled this much the same way as the provided solution from @TaraM / @GeneR 

Spoiler
'cept used a filter with a row ID instead of the sampler.   Prefer the provided solution!

Looking at @MarqueeCrew's solution - it's interesting to see an approach that just uses copy-down multi row formulas for the whole thing.
Magnetar
Magnetar

My solution :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge28.JPG
Pulsar

Took a different approach than the last cleaning exercise, where I split out the headers and rejoined them. Did this all with formulas, select, filters.

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png

I kept this one nice and simple 

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 28.png

I feel like I cheated a bit on this challenge because it was one of our training exercises at Data School. So I gave myself the added challenge of finding a different solution to the one we came up with in class!

Spoiler
challenge28.jpg

see attached