community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Weekly Challenge
Do you have the skills to make it to the top? Subscribe to our weekly challenges. Try your best to solve the problem, share your solution, and see how others tackled the same problem. We share our answer too.
Unable to display your progress at this time. Please try again a little later, or contact an administrator if you continue to see this error.

Challenge #137: Find the Closest 'Dry' Point!

Sr. Learning Strategy Manager
Sr. Learning Strategy Manager

Thanks to @NicoleJohnson for a wonderful Weekly Challenge and Weekly Challenge Session last week! Now that the team is back stateside, we will begin to resume business as usual starting next Monday! Until then, here's another little challenge to tide you over!

In this challenge a telecom company is trying to determine the closest splice point to each of their customers in San Diego County. The caveat is that the closest point MAY NOT be across any body of water, river, pond, etc. Provided in the solution is 1) a shape file of water in San Diego, 2) a shape file of San Diego County 3) Customer points and 4) Fiber Splice Points

splicepoints.png

Quasar

Could it be that I'm first to submit the answer? :D

Spoiler
Challenge #137.PNGlove the spatial challenges!

@kat - that was crazy fast! You should consider competing in the Grand Prix or something... ;)

My solution! Though just to make sure those cables don't cross the water, I should probably head to San Diego to check it out. You know, just to be safe. :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge137.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

Spoiler
I decided to mix it up and use the formula/filter tool instead of spatial tools. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but the ST_Intersects was not returning the correct answers like the ST_Intersection object was (try customer1 and fibersplice5). 

Capture.PNG
Comet

Hi, my solution, never used spatial with way, fun one! 

Alteryx Partner

My solution:

Spoiler
challenge 137.jpg
Alteryx Certified Partner

Easy one :-)

Asteroid
Spoiler
Realise now I could've just used a Sample tool at the end... but, hey! 
Challenge 137.png
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Here's my solution, fun problem