Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #137: Find the Closest 'Dry' Point!

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks to @NicoleJohnson for a wonderful Weekly Challenge and Weekly Challenge Session last week! Now that the team is back stateside, we will begin to resume business as usual starting next Monday! Until then, here's another little challenge to tide you over!

In this challenge a telecom company is trying to determine the closest splice point to each of their customers in San Diego County. The caveat is that the closest point MAY NOT be across any body of water, river, pond, etc. Provided in the solution is 1) a shape file of water in San Diego, 2) a shape file of San Diego County 3) Customer points and 4) Fiber Splice Points

splicepoints.png

kat
12 - Quasar

Could it be that I'm first to submit the answer? :D

Spoiler
love the spatial challenges!love the spatial challenges!
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@kat - that was crazy fast! You should consider competing in the Grand Prix or something... ;)

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! Though just to make sure those cables don't cross the water, I should probably head to San Diego to check it out. You know, just to be safe. :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge137.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I decided to mix it up and use the formula/filter tool instead of spatial tools. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but the ST_Intersects was not returning the correct answers like the ST_Intersection object was (try customer1 and fibersplice5). 

Capture.PNG
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi, my solution, never used spatial with way, fun one! 

Wouter
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
challenge 137.jpg
olivia_paquot
8 - Asteroid

Easy one :-)

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Realise now I could've just used a Sample tool at the end... but, hey! 
Challenge 137.png
George_Walker
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Here's my solution, fun problem