Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Inspire 2017 | Tech Track Ideas

Shape the agenda. Submit your ideas for the Tech Track.

Be a part of shaping the Alteryx Technology Track, and make Inspire 2017 what you want it to be. The Alteryx Technology Track is delivered by our product management team, and the sessions provide best practices and details on existing and new features, how to use them, and example use cases. Learn the things you want to learn and suggest what you’d like to see from the Alteryx Product Management team. Please make sure to submit your suggestion before January 6, 2017, so we can begin to formally plan the sessions.

Here’s how to get started:

1. Propose a Technology Track session topic and include a brief description of your thoughts.
  2. Vote for session topics you like by giving it a star. We'll be using the star count as a way to determine what to offer, so choose carefully! If you change your mind, you can always un-star via the idea options.

Ready? Set? Get your vote on!

Suggest an idea

Inspire 2017 should have two short sessions dedicated to maps (30 min each).

1) Maps - Basics*

2) Maps - Advanced Geocoding*

* In case of limited time, consider combining these two sessions.

Sessions should be recorded and available for streaming.

Maps - Basics

This session should cover common topics about creating a custom map.

How to create maps for custom points, lines, polygons using spatial inputs and creating map layers.

Show an example of creating a fancy map in Alteryx and how that can be integrated into a BI tool. eg. weighted map (aka "Cartogram")

Maps - Advanced Geocoding

This session should cover advanced topics about custom geocoding using spatial tools.

Distance between two points, spatial match, supportive features for kml and geojson codes.

Linking US & Canadian Address ⟺ Lat-Longs, Zip5 Zip7 and Zip9 etc.

Anything more which your product management team can reveal is most welcomed.

The software development industry has best practices and software such as git that facilitates effective collaboration across multiple users. Alteryx has a slightly different model that doesn't lend itself to this method of managment.

I'd love to hear from from manager/s of large teams that have solved this problem. To wit:

- Do they use a third-party software or service as a VCS? If so, what and why?

- What traditional software development best practices do they use and which were rejected as not fitting the way Alteryx works?

- Have they solved the problem of forking/merging? How?

- How do they manage their macros as the number grows?

- Best practices around documentation?

Learning best practices, when data quality and hygine is the most critical, and not so obvious ways you can use Alteryx to ensure you have a healty dataset prior to building more sohpisticated analytics models. 

I would like to see a session that reviews the dynamic tools with use cases. The dyamnic tools have good applications, but it would be nice to see how to transform a regular workflow into a dynamic one. It could go through the dynamic input, dynamic output, dynamic replace, and dynamic select.

For our Data Scientist friends using Alteryx wanting to dive into more customization functions. 

Learn easy ways to append, refresh data everyday/month/quarter and automating sharing  updated information 

How to take full advantage of your big data infrastructure 

For our IT friends, learn how to scale Alteryx out or up to support broader usage across your organization.

I would like to see how the Alteryx API / SDK can be leveraged in other platforms or system (e.g. esri / salesforce). Many use Alteryx only as a self contained entity and maybe some don't realize the power / capability of the API/SDK? or they just see it as a black box...

How can Alteryx make us look even better by doing all its magix behind the scenes? Maybe showcase an App, some javascript calls and finally demo a system or two leveraging the API/SDK. I would think Alteryx would want to do this track so they end up selling more Alteryx Server licenses! :+)

Lot's of the data we have reside in unstructured or semi-structured sources...

Really would love to see best practice cases on parsing sources such as;

• web pages with or without tables for competitior price monitoring
  • PDF documents like bunch of CV's for HR analytics
  • Lists of internal E-mail communications for auditing
  • Social media data like Facebook timeline

For the unstructured case;

• Getting a series of photographs for analytics,
  • Radar, sonar or similar sound data for preventive maintenance into Alteryx

I would like to see a session review some best practices for reviewing Alteryx logs and a few different workflows/reports generated of the parsed log files.

Presentation I'd like to see is workflow design patterns. I've seen the waterfall for fuzzy matching. What else is there?

As a GIS Analyst I use the spatial toolset extensively.  I've also used the R toolset in a limited fashion with some grouping, but would like to see a more extensive use case for the integration of the two.  I am particularly interested in the Traveling Salesman Problem and integrating spatial components to regression analysis.

I'd appreciate an in-depth look at all the options contained in the Download Tool I have the basics, but I bet there's a lot of stuff it can do that I just don't know or understand.