Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Inspire 2017 | Tech Track Ideas

Shape the agenda. Submit your ideas for the Tech Track.

Managing a 'codebase' across many users

The software development industry has best practices and software such as git that facilitates effective collaboration across multiple users. Alteryx has a slightly different model that doesn't lend itself to this method of managment.

I'd love to hear from from manager/s of large teams that have solved this problem. To wit:

- Do they use a third-party software or service as a VCS? If so, what and why?

- What traditional software development best practices do they use and which were rejected as not fitting the way Alteryx works?

- Have they solved the problem of forking/merging? How?

- How do they manage their macros as the number grows?

- Best practices around documentation?

5 Comments
Philip
12 - Quasar

Yes, and also about standard design practices so that workflows are developed, designed, and "look" similar across several Alteryx designers.

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

This would be a great topic for an ACE panel discussion!

Hollingsworth
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@Philip I like your idea. Kind of like a style guide for Alteryx.

Philip
12 - Quasar

@Hollingsworththat's where I came from with Python. They have a style guide so that Python code looks similar when developed by different people.  It makes it easier to read other people's code. I would really like something similar for Alteryx.

Python style guide:

https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

Key concept:

One of Guido's key insights is that code is read much more often than it is written. The guidelines provided here are intended to improve the readability of code and make it consistent across the wide spectrum of Python code. As PEP 20 says, "Readability counts".

A style guide is about consistency. Consistency with this style guide is important. Consistency within a project is more important. Consistency within one module or function is the most important.

However, know when to be inconsistent -- sometimes style guide recommendations just aren't applicable. When in doubt, use your best judgment. Look at other examples and decide what looks best. And don't hesitate to ask!

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Maybe Next Year

@Hollingsworth -- love this idea! Unfortunately, this isn't going to be included as a Tech Track session this year.

I will say that these are fantastic questions for Thursday Thought, and I am adding them to the list.  We posed a question around documentation a few weeks ago, and got some great responses :)