General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Workflow Presentation Best Practices?

wdula
7 - Meteor

Hey all,

I was wondering if there are any best practices or guidelines that you use when demonstrating a workflow or incorporating it into a presentation?

I’m mainly thinking about this for showcasing use cases for user group meetings and onboarding. I’m also looking for ideas around presenting workflows to non users/data people in the business.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
acarter881
12 - Quasar

Hello, @wdula.

To highlight what you said, I believe it depends on the intended audience. 

Generally speaking, I like to use Tool Container tools to group related functionality, Comment tools to describe the intention of the workflow/things that are too complicated for Annotations, and Annotations for every tool.

The sample workflows in Designer showcase some of these documenting techniques. They are accessed by going to Help -> Sample Workflows.

If people are familiar with Designer, it may be nice to open Designer and go through the workflow. I still suggest having a clean looking workflow that has Tool Container tools, Comment tools, and Annotations.

If people aren't familiar with Designer, perhaps it may be best to take screenshots and describe what is going on; the screenshots can be presented in a way that shows the logical flow (similar to how many workflows flow from top to bottom (vertical) or left to right (horizontal)). You can also relate what the tools are doing to what your audience may understand, such as the Join tool performing the same function as a VLOOKUP in Excel.

Labels