General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

What are your favorite Regex learning resources?

tristank
11 - Bolide

As I wade through these challenges more and more of them could be done quicker with Regex. That said I'm terrible at it and still don't understand a lot of the syntax. Are there resources you have used to study Regex or was it just trial and error in Alteryx?

4 REPLIES 4
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I asked myself this question 1 year ago. I was terrible at Regex, and I think I'm still quite bad at it, but through trial & error + learning + leveraging online resources, I think I'm good enough for now to handle most use cases that come my way. 

Here's some resources I'd like to share with you:

1. https://regex101.com/ -> Helps you identify your Regex and shows you where things go wrong. Easier to troubleshoot than guesswork!
  2. ChatGPT -> Believe it or not, ChatGPT is great for Regex. Type in your structured sentence, and tell it with a prompt to REGEX it with Alteryx in mind. Also, give it clues as to how you want the expected result to be. I am learning way faster with ChatGPT!
  3. https://regexone.com/ -> Basically like W3Schools, but for Regex.
  4. https://www.rexegg.com/regex-quickstart.html -> I reference this from time to time to get a better grasp of REGEX. Don't try to force memorize, it doesn't work.

Some documentation from Alteryx as well:

I've also attached a cheat sheet I keep printed out from MIT!

I hope this helps @tristank !

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @tristank 

Within the Blog pages of Billigence, there is this blog about RegEx, you may find it helpful Regex in Alteryx | Explained & Use Cases 

The Regular Expression theory originated back in 1951 according to its Wikipedia entry, with lot of information about the evolution of Regular Expressions, which Alteryx's RegEx is closely related:  Regular Expression 

Hope this helps,

Arnaldo

tristank
11 - Bolide

@ArnaldoSandoval @caltang 

This will be fantastic reference for myself and users who find this in the future. Thanks a bunch folks!

Eden60
7 - Meteor

Regex (short for regular expressions) can indeed be a powerful tool for handling various text-based challenges. Understanding its syntax and mastering its usage can be a bit challenging at first, but with practice and the right resources, you can become proficient in it.

When it comes to learning regex, there are several resources that can help you grasp its concepts and syntax. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Online tutorials and courses: Many websites offer tutorials and courses specifically focused on regex. Some popular platforms include regexone.com, regular-expressions.info, and regexr.com. These resources often provide interactive lessons and exercises to help you practice and understand regex patterns. like azure admin training

2. Documentation and cheat sheets: Regular expression libraries in different programming languages have detailed documentation that explains the syntax and functions specific to that language. Websites like regex101.com and regex101.io provide interactive environments where you can test and experiment with regex patterns.

3. Books: There are several books available that cover regex in-depth. Some recommended titles include "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey E.F. Friedl and "Regular Expressions Cookbook" by Jan Goyvaerts and Steven Levithan.

4. Online communities and forums: Participating in online communities and forums focused on regex can be immensely helpful. Websites like Stack Overflow have dedicated sections for regex-related questions and discussions. You can ask specific questions, seek guidance, or browse through existing threads to learn from others' experiences.

5. Practice and experimentation: As with any skill, practice is key. The more you work with regex, the more comfortable you'll become with its syntax and pattern construction. Experimenting with real-world examples and challenging yourself to solve different regex puzzles or tasks will enhance your understanding and proficiency.

While Alteryx may have provided you with some exposure to regex, exploring these external resources will give you a broader understanding of the topic. Remember that regex syntax can vary slightly depending on the programming language or tool you're using, so be mindful of the specific implementation details when consulting resources.

Labels