Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

Text Box Interface Tool to Modify Custom Filter

TerenceLebegern
6 - Meteoroid

I currently have a standard workflow that I want to change into an Analytical App, however it contains a filter tool that needs to be modified from time to time.  The workflow selects records from the data set that contain specific identifiers in the "JE Header Description" field.  These identifies are usually static, however from time to time a new one may be needed to be included just once, for example DS900 may need to be included just once.  How do I use the Text Box interface tool to include the new identify in the custom filter when it is needed? 

FIlter Tool.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @TerenceLebegern, here's an example I have just quickly built out that should help you if it is just a one-time addition now and again as you say.

With starting data as so:

2002.png

And a Filter condition the same as yours:

2003.png

We configure the Action tool like so, so that if the Text Box tool is blank, it'll run the standard Filter condition i.e. what is already there. However, if an end-user does type something in, this will be added to the end of the Filter condition:

2004.png

Here's an example of running it blank:

2005.png

And populated:

2006.png

Hope this helps! App attached for you to look over. Please let us know if you have further questions!

TerenceLebegern
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @DataNath ! This is exactly what I was looking for.  One minor additional twist, say there was a fourth line "blabla000", can we modify this so when running I can input multiple additional descriptions in the text box (e.g blabla789,blabla000)?  Or would a different interface tool be needed?

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @TerenceLebegern, something like that requires a bit more of a build. Here's how I'd go about it:

Start with an inner, very simple macro which is just an Input > Filter expression with your standard expression i.e. the 'OR Contains()...' that you'll always use > Output back to the main workflow (app).

The app is then built by replacing some dummy data in a Text Input tool with the user input - this is then split to rows with a Text to Columns tool and then using a Formula + Summarize we can then build up additional Filter expression elements and inject this into the inner-wrapped filter using a Control Parameter.

I don't have much time today to build in checks/extra flexibility so this will only work if you're providing more than one value, separated by a comma but you could use the two solutions side-by-side in the meantime.

Standard filter is only set to 123 and 456:

1-1.png

We have a wide range of values in our actual data:

1-2.png

Adding 2, comma-separated values adds these to the Filter condition and allows them to pass through:

1-3.png

Hope this is useful!

TerenceLebegern
6 - Meteoroid

@DataNath Thanks, that works perfectly!

Labels