Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

New to Alteryx

freddiezhou520
5 - Atom

Hi, I am Freddie Zhou. My question is how long does it take from a beginner level to advance in Alteryx. I really enjoy using Alteryx. What companies require the Alteryx skill?

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @freddiezhou520 

There's no set timeline. The more you use alteryx the more familiarity you'll get with the tool. Go through the training paths and find applications in your day to day work. I've been using Alteryx for just over 4 years. I got core certified after 4 months and advanced 3 months after that. Then after a few years I felt very confident and got the expert certification recently.

It all comes down to how frequent you use it and breadth of use cases you can find. Not every company uses Alteryx, the cost is often a barrier, but if you have the skills and think there's a use case at the company you can definitely get the free trial and make your case to get a license. 

Alteryx_AR
12 - Quasar

Hey @freddiezhou520   

As @Luke_C   mentioned there is no fixed timeline. It depends on how much you work on your skills.  I recommend to supplement the Learning Paths with putting your skills into practice. I found that the Alteryx Weekly Challenges were the best resource for trying out my skills, and applying what I had learned in creative situations. The back catalogue of over 300 challenges are catalogued and tagged by theme and difficulty level, so you can focus on your areas for improvement. I started my journey by doing lots of beginner-level challenges to get comfortable with the core principles of Alteryx; these got me all the way to my Core certification. When I found myself getting stuck on more advanced topics, like iterative macros, searching by topic helped me find lots of practice examples. I also took the time to look at other people’s challenge answers – they are an amazing resource to learn the ‘best’ way to do things.

Thanks

Labels