Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Alteryx Designer Sharepoint Connector won't run

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to set up my sharepoint connector with Alteryx Designer but face with the below error: 

Error: SharePoint Input (1): Provided Azure application does not have required permissions for scheduling. Either disable 'use service principal' or provide an Azure app with required permissions and login again.

I am trying to read a sharepoint list from the sharepoint, I set up the Azure Application and certifcate as here: https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/designer/data-sources/microsoft-sharepoint/create-certificate-fo...

All the setting on Designer are set up properly (Allow SDK etc)

I also made sure the sharepoint give read/write access the Azure Application I have created. 

I don't know what's missed here. If someone can share some insight what permission is needed or either sharepoint side or Azure Application side, please let me know.  

7 REPLIES 7
Deano478
12 - Quasar

@zzy98y what exact API permissions have you provided for this app registration also have you generated a Client Secret?

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

@Deano478  The permission we granted is sites.select.   Specific permisison are granted on the sharepoint site ( read/writes are granted in this case). 

And I did not use secret, I use a private key and thumb print because I am using a service principal option. 

Deano478
12 - Quasar

@zzy98y Im just looking at the connector here are you using the App Sign in (Use Service Principal) option to authenticate for SharePoint 365 Cloud its much better to go the route of a secret. You'll also need to use the Microsoft Graph API On Azure for this just to confirm your using that? if so you'll need to give the API Sites.ReadAll Permissions and also Files.ReadAll Permssions 

Deano478
12 - Quasar

also in The SharePoint Admin Center you will need to go to "API access" under "Advanced" and ensure the permission requests from your Azure application are approved. Lastly you also need to navigate to the specific SharePoint site you are accessing, Go to "Site Permissions", Ensure that the Azure application has at least "Read" permission to the site and you can add the application by its client ID as a user and assign the necessary permissions.

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

@Deano478  I am using read data from List, and use App Sign in, if you use that option, you need to provide url, client id (azure app id), thumb print, private key, tenant id (from azure app) 

Since it's thumb print, I had to use certificate based authentication instead of a secret based authentication. 

Because what I am trying to do is read in a sharepoint list, not an actual file from sharepoint. 

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

@Deano478  To answer you second comment, the sharepoint side already granted my Azure App ID read and write access. 

Deano478
12 - Quasar

Based on the error your getting the APi inst able to access the list and it has insufficient permissions since you have the authentication all okay then as i mentioned below. I found the below on the MS Forums so feel free to have a look at the below and see if it helps:

1. App Registration - Certificates & Secrets:

• Ensure the certificate is correctly uploaded in your Azure app registration under "Certificates & secrets".
    • Copy the thumbprint of this certificate.
  2. API Permissions:

• Ensure the permissions required for accessing SharePoint are granted.
      • Microsoft Graph: Sites.Read.All, Sites.ReadWrite.All (if needed)
      • SharePoint: Sites.Read.All, Sites.ReadWrite.All (if needed)
    • Grant admin consent for these permissions.
  3. Application Permissions:

• Verify that the application has the right permissions to access the SharePoint site.
    • Ensure the app has the correct role assignments in Azure AD.

Verifying SharePoint Configuration

1. Site Permissions:
    • Ensure the Azure application is granted the necessary permissions on the SharePoint site.
    • Add the application by its client ID to the site permissions with at least read access.

Labels