Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 2 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Spoiler

Discussion thread for day 2 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/2

65 REPLIES 65
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

It was moderate one, and manageable.

Spoiler
image.png
kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

This was a nice change for Day 2 after a rough Day 1!

Spoiler
Part 1: Mostly just a parsing exercise. Probably could have done this in fewer tools with RegEx, but it was faster to use Text to Columns repeatedly since RegEx makes my head hurt.

Part 2: Just had to take the max number of cubes for each color used in each game and multiply them together. No big twists made me paranoid I was missing something, but I guess Eric decided to give us a nice Part 2 after yesterday. I'm guessing this just means tomorrow will be even trickier!

AOCDay2.png

DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar

Easier then yesterday's one.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-02 142455.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Much better than yesterday!

Spoiler
image.png
Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

Cost me time since did not read the instruction carefully ennough. 😁

Spoiler
AoC2023-Day2.png
Tokimatsu
12 - Quasar

Done.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-02 143630.png

joshbennett
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Nice to have part 2 be easier than part 1 once in a while.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-12-01 225103.png

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Not elegant, but got the job done. 

Spoiler
AOC 2023 Day2.jpg

NicoleJ
Alteryx
Alteryx

It's been a good, good day... because I got to use a new feature from 23.2 Designer release (with the Custom Workflow Template I saved earlier today to use as my quick starting point every day for Advent of Code with a data download macro & input switcher)... AND then I also found a way to use not one, not two, but THREE new functions available in the 23.2 release as well! It feels like Christmas already!! 😁

Spoiler
Annotated the cleaned up/tool golf version with notes. I went for speed, not beauty, for the stars... and then went back to clean it up because 4 Text to Columns tools just felt a little ridiculous. 🤣

Day2_NJ.png
Cheers!
NJ
Sr. Manager, Product Management, Designer
Alteryx
Labels