Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Plugin licensing

360Andy
7 - Meteor

I have developed a (data quality/deduplication) plugin for Alteryx and currently it has a simple copy protection mechanism that checks for an installed activation code.

However, we now want to differentiate between Designer and Server.

How can I tell, at run time, if my component is being run as part of a workflow in Alteryx Designer or as part of an Analytic Application in Alteryx Server?

Also, when running in Alteryx Server, is there a way my component can tell which user is running the app? So that we can implement per-user licensing.

At the time of generating an activation code for a machine, perhaps I can detect whether Alteryx Server or Alteryx Designer is installed. Or can a machine have both installed?

2 REPLIES 2
NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

How can I tell, at run time, if my component is being run as part of a workflow in Alteryx Designer or as part of an Analytic Application in Alteryx Server?

Check out the get_init_var method of the AlteryxEngine class. I believe AllowDesktopInteraction indicates if it's running in Designer, and RunningAsWizard indicates if it's running as an analytic app (wizard was the original name for analytic apps).

360Andy
7 - Meteor

Brilliant! Thanks. I'll give that a try.