Dev Space

Customize and extend the power of Alteryx with SDKs, APIs, custom tools, and more.
SOLVED

Plugin Installation

Shlomo
5 - Atom

Hello,

I've been test-driving Alteryx, and I have developed a C# engine plugin for a proprietary DB technology we have. The plugin was largely patterned after this post for creating an Outlook Input Tool (and the code hosted on the referenced GitHub repo).

I think I completed a bare-bones plugin implementation (.NET DLL), however I can't seem to install it to run in Alteryx. The Outlook Input project used InstallShield (no thank you) to install everything, so black box there. The only documentation I could find was in [Alteryx Install Directory]\APIs\AlteryxSDK\Documentation\AlteryxSDK.chm -> Custom Tools\Alteryx Plugins which says this:

How are Plugins registered and licensed?

Plugins require no registration in order to be recognised by Alteryx. All that is needed is for them to be placed into the Plugins folder. You may also use the registry to specify alternative folders for Alteryx to search for custom plugins.  These registry settings should be placed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx\AdditionalPlugins for 32-bit installs, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SRC\Alteryx\AdditionalPlugins64 for 64-bit installs.  Simply create the appropriate key and add a string value for each folder that Alteryx should check for custom plugins.  The name of the string value may be anything, but the value should be the path to check.  If Alteryx doesn't find any plugins in the specified folder, it will search for a debug subfolder if you are running via a debugger or a release folder if you are running normally.

I dropped the plugin into the Plugins folder, no dice. I installed the referenced Outlook tool, and it isn't in the Plugins directory (installs to whatever directory you choose), but the referenced registry key doesn't exist either, so I'm going to guess the documentation is obsolete.

The referenced Outlook example has an .ini floating around, which I'm guessing is required somewhere. Is there any documentation about how to deploy a built plugin? If not, how can I deploy?

1 REPLY 1
Shlomo
5 - Atom

If anybody else has this problem, I found another documentation doc ([Alteryx Install Directory]\APIs\SampleCode\DotNetCustomTools.pdf) which had the answer:

Deploying Plugins
Plugins require no registration in order to be recognized by Alteryx. All that is needed is for them to be placed into the Plugins folder.
You need to add a new .ini file in <alteryx install>\Settings\AdditionalPlugins. (The default is: C:\Program Files\Alteryx.)
The CustomPlugin.ini should look like:
[Settings]
x64Path=C:\PROGRAM FILES\Alteryx\<directory for x64 plugin>
x86Path=C:\PROGRAM FILES\Alteryx\<directory for x86 plugin>
ToolGroup=Developer
(ToolGroup is where you want it to show up in Alteryx as a tool.)