Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Return or tell if a column is all nulls?

brendafos
10 - Fireball

Is there a way Alteryx can return or tell you that a column is all nulls, that the column is empty?

14 REPLIES 14
brendafos
10 - Fireball

JordanB - First, thank your for the workflow.  Your sample workflow gets the results I'm trying for.

BUT when I repurpose your workflow for my table it does not work.  On the last Select where 'Load Field Names and Types' is selected, the Rename is results are incorrect, and then the output is incorrect.  AND it gives this error - 'The field 'company' was renamed conflicting with an existing field name.' 

LoadFieldsTypes-Select.PNG

To test if it was an issue with the Select needing to alpha order - I tool your sample workflow and added a new last column/field called 'AAA'  But your workflow still worked and re-alpha ordered the fields. 

I want to get this working because I think I can reuse it very often.  Your input is really appreciated.

Brenda

brendafos
10 - Fireball

JordanB - or you offline or something? 

Would love your reply to this last question.

Brenda

brendafos
10 - Fireball

OK, I found something that works ----

I am now using the workflow referenced in this link to dynamically remove fields which are null or have low % of values. 

The link is at the bottom of the statement in the word 'here'.  Use that link to get to the workflow which I am finding useful.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Removing-Fields-Dynamically/ba-p/1976

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@brendafos

Apologies for the slow reply I have been on PTO. After looking at the error message it seems the select tool will not keep the order if the fields shift. It seems Neds blog will give you the dynamic answer going forward. If you have any additional questions please just reach out. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar
Labels