Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Output 0 Records

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

So I have built a workflow that will filter outputs based on Month.  It doesn't take into account year.  Once the month has passed, 0 records will be passed through into that month's output.

I am curious on the output.  It appears in my testing that Alteryx will not over right a yxdb if there are 0 records.  The yxdb appears to have kept all the records from the last run with records based on the formula.

I just want to verify my thinking.  Workflow runs through out the month.  Yxdb is saved.  Then when 0 records show up, Alteryx will not overwrite that yxdb with 0 records correct?

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MadeInHB,

Alteryx will save over a file with data if you tell it to write to that file (even if there are 0 records).  Would you like to know a trick to prevent that?  Don't share it with anyone else!

Spoiler
Create a "Filename" variable and give it a formula like:

IIF([Count] = 0,"Zero Data","My outputfile")

Now in your output, you can take table/file name from variable and select that option.  Take the filename and remove it from output.  When there is data, it uses the "My outputfile" name and when there is 0 data, it writes to a harmless file.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

I have been doing some testing and it appears Alteryx isn't writing a yxdb with 0 records as well as not over writing the previous is there is 0 records. 

But I am going to test your way as a fail safe.

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

I like your idea as a fail safe just in case.  Thanks!

Karunakaran
5 - Atom

unable to implement the solution, can you share a sample workflow

Nutan_NT
5 - Atom

I have the similar issue, where I am using the option- "delete data and append" while loading data to a oracle table. It is working fine when the number of records are 1 or more, however the data is not getting deleted when there are 0 records, I was expecting the table to be empty when 0 records are loaded with the option-"delete data and append", is that how Alteryx is expected to work?

Labels