Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Collapsing a Union

DaveCoughlin76
5 - Atom
I have built a process that uses a custom fuzzy join to compare question sets in a pairwise manner. I was asked to extend this from 2 surveys to N surveys (currently built a template for 5 total surveys (2012 - 2016). The process does the following:
  • Compare 2016 to 2015 and identify pairs
  • Compare 2016 to 2014 and identify pairs
  • Compare 2016 to 2013 and identify pairs
  • Compare 2016 to 2012 and identify pairs
This leads to 4 output files all of of which have "2016_Question" as one column and "YYYY_Question" as the other (YYYY is 2015, 2014, etc.). When I union these I get the following:

2016_Question || 2015_Question || 2014_Question || 2013_Question || 2012_Question
Q_1 || Q_5 || Null || Null || Null
Q_1 || Null || Q_8 || Null || Null
Q_1 || Null || Null || Q_10 || Null
Q_1 || Null || Null || Null || Q_19

Ideally, I would have a single row for each unique 2016_Question, for example:
Q_1 || Q_5 || Q_8 || Q_10 || Q_19

Which effectively collapses the nulls. I tried googling and am getting nothing. Any tips? 
4 REPLIES 4
MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@DaveCoughlin76,

Not 100% sure this is what you are after... More of a workaround than anything. Workflow attached.

Hope it helps,

MSalvage

DaveCoughlin76
5 - Atom

Thank you MSalvage.

I got an error trying to open this, it seems you are using an even newer version of Alteryx than I am. Is there a way to save as prior version? Sorry to impose, I very much appreciate the assistance.

Best,

DC76

MSalvage
11 - Bolide

@DaveCoughlin76,

Try this one. Not sure if it worked or not.

-MSalvage

DaveCoughlin76
5 - Atom

MS - that appears to work, I'll keep testing but I think you cracked it. Thank you!

Labels