Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Which database should I use for Alteryx Server?

sagar_agarwal
8 - Asteroid

Hello All,

I'm new to Alteryx and have recently got an Alteryx Server license and I was reading the documentation when I learned that it comes pre-packaged with MongoDB & SQLite for data storage/persistence options. However, I believe I have different needs to address when it comes to choosing a database. Below are few of my needs:

1. I have both types of data - flat (relational) as well as JSON format.

2. Need to have a Tableau native connection. Currently, Tableau does not have a native connection to MongoDB (it is via the MongoDB BI connector, but I cant use it as of now)

3. Dataset size would be about 2 billion rows currently, and growing at about 20mn rows per month.

4. Updating a particular datapoint will be very less; once the data is prepared and stored, it will be mostly querying and joining with other datasets.

5. Preferably opensource.

I shortlisted PostGreSQL after reading several forums; but I am not sure if its possible or the right one. I want to know if I can use a different database for my Alteryx Server needs (and not use MongoDB/SQLite)? Can I expect the same level of performance with other databases as I would expect with MongoDB/SQLite.

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I would use Mongo. The use of Mongo doesn't preclude you from installing another RDBMS on the server for your other needs.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sagar_agarwal
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Mark - I went through good number of knowledge base articles/comment threads and MongoDB seems to be a good bet.

If you can help me with one unrelated question - that would be great:

I have Alteryx Desktop Designer v10.6; and Alteryx Server v11.0.5 - will they be compatible with each other? I cannot use Alteryx Designer 11.0 as of now since it is still not available in my firm's software respository.

Thank you.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sagar_agarwal,

11.0 can completely use 10.6.  There are no issues there.

If you use 10.6 and the workflow that you try to open was created in version 11.0, then in most cases you can open the workflow using Notepad (or similar) and make the following modification:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="11.0">

Change to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="10.0">

Note:  If you are using version 11 functions, this won't work.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
sagar_agarwal
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much Mark! More awesomeness to you :)