Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Shared Macro's in Gallery

s_schoonover
5 - Atom

Created my community account to share my findings and hopefully help someone else who was frustrated like I was. 

Workflows can be saved to galleries with implicit UNC paths to macro's without being packaged. This allows you to run workflows pulling macro's at the time of execution. This also allows you to make updates to Macro's without needing to update workflows with the new version of your macro. 

XML appears as below: 

<Dependencies>
<Implicit>
<Dependency Path="\\UNC\Macro\Test Macro.yxmc" Package="False" IsMacro="True" IsOutput="False" IsAlias="False" />
<Dependency Path="\\UNC\Macro\aka:data connection" Package="True" IsMacro="False" IsOutput="False" IsAlias="True" />
</Implicit>
</Dependencies>

When working on this solution I noticed a couple of real problems. The first is you cannot insert macro's to your workflows from the toolbar. Doing this causes the xml to pull your engine settings. To get around it I do right click > insert > macro and navigate to my UNC. The second issue I ran across was that the local user running the server executable needs read/write access to the macro folder you're referencing. Lastly, you need to turn on asset grouping either within your canvas, or at deployment, and deselect the actual macro from being packaged into the standard external/1/etc. 

Hope this helps someone as this now opened up the Gallery to a broader group in our business. 

0 REPLIES 0