Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

SQL Server Connection Failure

Danial_Nawab
7 - Meteor
Hi Community,

I get the following errors whenever I try to establish a SQL Server connection by entering the same name of DB as the "Connection Name" and "Host".

Error encountered: ERROR [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [53].

ERROR [HYTOO] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server] Login timeout expired

ERROR [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

I do not get the above mentioned errors whenever I make a SQL Server connection using the IP of the DB as "Host" and use the name of the DB as "Connection Name" but I end up receiving this:

Error encountered: ERROR [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server]SSL Provider: The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.

ERROR [08001] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver 18 for SQL Server] Client unable to establish connection.

Please advise as to how I resolve these errors.
3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

I recommend contacting who is responsible for maintaining that SQL Server, to make sure that all the information you have is correct, the ODBC driver and DSN. 

Danial_Nawab
7 - Meteor

Hi Gabriel,

I have access to the SQL Server. Is there anyway that you can guide me where I can find the ODBC driver and DSN in SSMS or any place else?

Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @Danial_Nawab , 

Find the link below to configure ODBC in your environment. Make sure there is no communication blockage between your source and destination systems. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Connect-to-an-ODBC-Data-Sour...

Regards, 

Ariharan R