Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Parsing error from XML files generated by Python and Alteryx Server

Tina1
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a problem with the generation of XML file with the Server.

I have written a script in python to generate XML. When I run the workflow on my desktop, I have as a result XML files that I can parse easily.

But I run it on the server after validation, the XML files generated can't be parsed. I get this message when I send the generated files to a parser:

<unexpected character " (code 65279 / 0xfeff) (expected a name start character)>

Tina1_0-1613119706245.jpeg

I tried to run the workflow from the Designer of the server (both have the same version: 2020.4) but I got the same error on my XML when trying to parse it.

I found this thread on a community, don't know if I might have a similar problem:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Error-Unexpected-character-code-65279-0xfeff-in-p...

I'm on Windows 10.

Any ideas of how I can solve this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Tina1,

Could you share the workflow or a print screen? That would help?

If you are running a Python script, does the Server have all libraries installed (same as your computer)?

Tina1
5 - Atom

Hi @MathieuF,

Thanks for you help. I have no idea if the Server have all libraries installed.

All I can say is there is no problem in the validation of the workflow so I assumed the Server had everything it needed...

You'll find attached the workflow which only contains a python tool.

Thanks again for your help! 

mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thanks @Tina1 !

Is there an input before your python tool? I'm getting an error when running it.

Would it be possible to get a sample of that source (you can change the nature of the data if confidential)?

Another question I have in mind: does the Server have access to the datasources or web resources you reached with your workflow?

Tina1
5 - Atom

Hi,

No there is no imput but you have to create a folder where you'll store the 3 csv files that I've joined.

Then in the script (in the main) you have to change the 3 links:

Tina1_1-1613553579513.png

Here are the links of the folder containing the csv files (Mine are stored in the folder "Flux aller")

Tina1_2-1613553719056.png

And here change it to a folder of your choice, the xml files generated will be stored in there.

And to answer your question, the Server has access to the datasources. The XML files are generated with the Server (you can open them with a notepad++, you'll see all the data), but when you try to parse them you get an error (see my first post).

Same when you try to open in Alteryx:

Tina1_3-1613554462128.png

Thanks for your help !

mathieuf
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Tina1,

As discussed in private, the Python version as been updated from 2020.2 (your Designer) and 2020.4 (the Server).

Please see to upgrade your Designer in 2020.4 then it should all be ok.