Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Tool Mastery

Explore a diverse compilation of articles that take an in-depth look at Designer tools.
Become a Tool Master

Learn how you can share your expertise with the Community

LEARN MORE

Tool Mastery | Input Data

MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Created

Input Data.pngThis article is part of the Tool Mastery Series, a compilation of Knowledge Base contributions to introduce diverse working examples for Designer Tools. Here we’ll delve into uses of the Input Data Tool on our way to mastering the Alteryx Designer:

The Input Data Tool is where it all starts in the Designer. Sure, you can bring in webscraped or API data with the Download Tool (master it here) and our prebuilt Connector Tools, but the tool that makes it a breeze to grab data from your most usedfile formats and databases is the Input Data Tool. Behold:

• Input any supported file format with a simple file browse:

2018-11-14_15-16-14.png

2018-11-14_15-17-54.png

2018-11-14_15-20-07.png

2018-11-14_15-23-49.png

Done and done. Once the input file is selected you can preview the incoming dataset in the tool’s configuration menu.

Be sure to look into saving your database connections as aliasesfor quicker input later on!

You can also use the Input Data Tool with a wildcard (*) to input multiple files of the same schema from a single directory. Learn how to use the wildcard and input tables of different schemas here.

Looking for more dynamic inputs? We’ve got you covered with theDynamic Input Tool! Master it here.

Note: If you’re sharing workflows with inputs, be sure to exportif the recipient doesn’t have the same input file on their computer already.

By now, you should have expert-level proficiency with the Input Data Tool! If you can think of a use case we left out, feel free to use the comments section below! Consider yourself a Tool Master already? Let us know at community@alteryx.com if you’d like your creative tool uses to be featured in the Tool Mastery Series.

Stay tuned with our latest posts everyTool Tuesdayby followingAlteryxon Twitter! If you want to master all the Designer tools, considersubscribingfor email notifications.

Click on the corresponding language link below to access this article in another language -

Comments
Eric227
6 - Meteoroid

I'm trying to use the Pre SQL Statement to limit the importation of data to improve load time.

1) Do you have an example of a Pre SQL Statement?

2) What is the best methodology to limit the importation of data when it's a simple filter? 

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Eric227,

You don’t need to use the preSQL statement to accomplish limiting.  If you look at the first line under the connection drop down box there is a parameter option called “Record Limit” you just need to type in a numerical value and it will limit the record pull for you.  

WillTravelForData
8 - Asteroid

This article is part Lesson 2 of the "Getting Started with the Alteryx Designer" curriculum.  You can find a link to the curriculum at the bottom of the Academy Overview page here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Overview/bd-p/academy-overview.   If you do the "Connecting to Data" tutorial, you can find the links to the 3 "Read about" items listed for lesson 2.  I'm finding the curriculum very helpful.

Abell
7 - Meteor
Is there any good info about using * and ? in inputs?
Nithyanand
5 - Atom

Hi,

While executing an SQL Query through ODBC Connection, i need to filter the date field available in the table dynamically in the critera.

I have tried Date(), CURDATE(), GETDATE(), DATETIMETODAY(), DATETIMENOW() and few other formats to get dynamic date criteria. But not of them seems to work. Since the table has millions of records, it takes time to download and then filter.

Kindly suggest a better way to give the date criterila in the query itself

Deliverance
7 - Meteor

@Nithyanand, I have to do this as well but am not to the point I can test yet. Sounds like you'd use the Dynamic Input Tool linked near the bottom of the article.

https://help.alteryx.com/current/DynamicInput.htm

zammar
7 - Meteor

are there limits to the file types? I noticed txt files don't seem to work.

devynjeska
5 - Atom

I really wish there was an option to use a SQL file as the source of the SQL for the Database Connection functionality. I've tried using the dynamic input tool for this, but run into issues when my file is too long. The summarize/concat tool ends up truncating the string so it fails.

Omanesma
5 - Atom

Great first tool mastery article.

scottonsports
7 - Meteor

What if I had an Excel file with 5 sheets. The schema is exactly the same with all sheets, they simply represent a different month per sheet. How could I import all of the data at the same time? Would I need 5 separate input tools?

jessicasupp
5 - Atom

The "Unzip and input .zip files" link says access denied.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@jessicasupp

Good catch! The article previously linked there was very out of date, so we archived it. I've updated the link to our help documentation about .zip files. Thank you!

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@scottonsports  I often use Dynamic input or Batch macro to get inputs from multiple spreadsheets of the same schema. This also works if the sheets are located in different excel files.

There is a more comprehensive discussion in this thread which you can check out:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Import-Multiple-Excel-Sheets...

framadan
5 - Atom

jrsupp
5 - Atom

This is really helpful! I appreciate the links, especially the file format list and zip file support. The wildcard for importing multiple similar files (and the input flowchart) is great to know about.

AnthonyFGCR
5 - Atom

Pretty helpful, thank you guys, great job! Love Alteryx!!!

Pamelasdb1215
5 - Atom

Thank you! Great insight.

Rajeshshetty37
5 - Atom

Pretty helpful

SandyWindsor
5 - Atom

How can I re-order my input run when I add a new one?

Xdejesus
5 - Atom

Great lesson.

Libarra2895
5 - Atom

Great Lesson

Kelly2
5 - Atom

Helpful. Thanks.

dokmanc
6 - Meteoroid

First you show opening up an AddressData.yxdb file. Then, in the next image, you are selecting a sheet. because of the sequence of the pictures with no explanation, I assumed that this was going to be the next thing that I saw after opening up the AddressData.yxdb file. But no. If you look closely, that the user must have opened up a different file, an Excel spreadsheet. This "article", which I was referred to by my trainer as reading material, was a waste of time. 

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx team, I hope all is well. 

I think it would be helpful if your team created gifs to teach your users how to master this tool. A series of gifs might be more helpful than screenshots. 

Best,

jalizmaldonado
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx team, I hope all is well. 

I think the team should consider SEO optimizing this page so it's easier to search for whether through the "Search the Community" search box or google (your marketing team would know what I mean). One way to optimize it is by naming your photos by the keyword phrases used on this page. 

Best,

Jaliz Maldonado

FláviaB
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Hey @jalizmaldonado! We appreciate your ideas. In fact. I encourage you to share them with our team directly through our Community Ideas board

Thanks for being part of the Alteryx Community! 

mjsnyder
7 - Meteor

Very helpful, thanks for the great insight.

rohit782192
11 - Bolide

Thank you.

RobPearce
8 - Asteroid

Hey look, my first comment!  Yay!

Great Self interactive learning

Yaster99
5 - Atom

Thank you for the article

emerymelvin3
6 - Meteoroid

This was a very informative article.

npulluri
5 - Atom

Thanks you for the helpful article

tanthony17
5 - Atom

Thank you for the helpful article

nclein2704
6 - Meteoroid

Interesting

Tyrane782001
7 - Meteor

ok

bfangman
5 - Atom

Thank you

sunchega
5 - Atom

Hi Team,

New BI things to learn.. happy to learning 

Jaja_gopal
5 - Atom

Interesting

mvtejano
7 - Meteor

Interesting and very helpful. Thank you.

Sinivasan2512
5 - Atom

not bad

mr107
5 - Atom

good one functionality.

Gunalan_Arul
5 - Atom

Very Interesting👍

Treyholtzclaw
5 - Atom

Nice

Aniket_18
6 - Meteoroid

nice article

Gayitri420
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to use the Pre SQL Statement to limit the importation of data to improve load time.

1) Do you have an example of a Pre SQL Statement?

2) What is the best methodology to limit the importation of data when it's a simple filter? 

Anitha1289
7 - Meteor

Great first tool mastery article.

Shyam_amarapu_2002
7 - Meteor

5-atom

Kjhansi
5 - Atom

Its good to use learning 

GuthurthiRaju
6 - Meteoroid

it good learning platform