Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input tool using relative file paths

nic_hamley
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the Dynamic Input tool using relative file paths as I will be sharing my workflow around with others so the path names will change. I notice that for the Input Data Source Template, you need to specify an exact path and can't edit it to be a relative path. Is there a way around this? Basically, I want to point it to a blank template excel spreadsheet that I can then use the Dynamic Input tool to change the entire file path to a relative path. But I need to make the Input Data Source Template path relative as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @nic_hamley ,

You have two options. To make the path relative before pressing 'ok' as image below shows.

fmvizcaino_0-1580871164954.png

Or after configuring the dynamic input tool, go to options > advanced options > workflow dependencies and make it relative as image below.

fmvizcaino_1-1580871283578.png

Let me know if this have worked for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

nic_hamley
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino Legend, this is great. Thanks for the very quick solution!

stanleychen
6 - Meteoroid

when i use relative path (..\3. Reference DB\ABC.xlsx)(the absolute path is "C:\Users\stanleychen\...\3. Reference DB") in the dynamic input tool, an error pops up saying:

Error: Dynamic Input (44): File not found "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\3. Reference DB\ABC.xlsx"

Why the relative path did not direct me to the absolute path but rather to some file in the Alteryx program?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stanleychen ,

That usually happens when you forget saving your workflow.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

jmolenaur
5 - Atom

Hi, I am having the same problem, where ONLY the relative path is changing.

I created a new workflow and saved to my desktop

Added an input tool to pass the full absolute file path name to the dynamic input

I used a file that matched the structure as the template

When I execute, no matter what I do, it always using a relative path that is the folder PLUS the remaining path and file info that I want to use as the absolute path. It appears to be defaulting the prefix path to where the actual workflow is saved. How do I get an absolute path to fire (network drive)?

Labels