Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Why does Cross Tab substitute underscores for punctuation characters, even for blanks.

JokeFun
8 - Asteroid

I have two columns, one is Name, another is Value.

NameValue
Loan Cross Ref12345678

When it is transformed by Cross Tab, the field names based on the Name changed to be "Loan_Cross_Ref", by adding this underscore between each word. This is annoying as it always failed in the Join tool following since the field in another file is coming as Loan Cross Ref.

So I am trying to understand the design logic of adding this underscore. As for temp solution, I have to use a select tool right after the Cross Tab to rename the field.

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Hopefully Alteryx can help all of us out and this can be enhanced. 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JokeFun 
It seems this is not a "bug", rather than a compromising between speed and formatting.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Cross-Tab-Tool-Removes-spaces-and-spec...

Go to above link and find below paragraph for the explaination and workaround. ‌‌

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Tip: Renaming Fields

A downside of the Cross Tab tool is that it doesn't play nice with special characters in field headers, including spaces. This means that if you have a field header "a a", it will actually come out as "a_a". I know this can be a bit inconvenient, but when we were developing the Alteryx engine we prioritized speed and efficiency over keeping the field headers looking nice. Don't worry though - there's a perfectly doable solution to this problem (more than one actually! ) that makes use of an awesome tool called Dynamic Rename . This is the way I usually like to go about it:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ckelley0
8 - Asteroid

it does seem like a bug

Labels