Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

VLOOKUP with Designer

LauraFP
5 - Atom

Hi All

I would like to share with the community one issue that I am experimating when I apply a VLOOKUPwith Allteryx.

First at all, let me introduce the necessary data that I am trying to cross:

TABLE 1: shows a list of materials (A, B & C) but the Source of Manufacture Code is not assined = #.

MATERIALSource Of Mnf Code
A#
B#
C#

TABLEL 2: shows in which location codes are being manufactured each material, and I sorted this data based on the code which has more sales.

MATERIALSource of Mnf Code 2Total Sales
A43565.000.000
A4121200.000
B1789400.000
B14062.000
C45131.000.000
C45125.000

When you sorted the find table date and apply a VLOOKUP with Excel, the formula return the first row found (previously sorted by Main Sales Criteria). So, the VLOOKUP results in Excel will be:

MATERIALSource of MnfSource of Mnf 2
A#4356
B#1789
C#4513

To make it with Alteryx Deigner I am using a Find & Replace Tool but the results are not being as I expected based on Excel exeriences. Aalteryx is returning the first Source of Mnf 2 that it found, indepentdenly of the sorted criteria applied.

You can find a simple example of the setting that I am applying in attachec designed and, here you can see that Alteryx results does not applied the sorted criteria in the source table.

I appreciate if you can share with me your suggestions and opinions to solve it.

Thank in advances.

Laura.

6 REPLIES 6
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

Hi @LauraFP — "Find Replace" tool works with String data types(s) only.

Try this solution:

"Summarize" tool will be helpful in your case:

vizAlter_0-1600682174151.png

And, then you can use a Formula tool to change the datatype back to Numeric, see this formula:

ToNumber([Total Sales])

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @LauraFP , you can try this.

grazitti_sapna_0-1600681188149.png

After sorting you can use tile tool based on the configuration given below and then filter the result out on that basis.

grazitti_sapna_1-1600681226970.png

or you can simply use this.

grazitti_sapna_2-1600681310585.png

The reason why you were getting the unwanted result is in find and replace tool it returns the value with the recent transaction which in your case was Source of manufacture for material A = 4121

i.e the second record for same material.

Another possible way is to sort and then apply unique tool on basis of material.

grazitti_sapna_3-1600681541680.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
LauraFP
5 - Atom

Hi VizAlter!

Thank you so much for your suggestion, it works in my analysis!

I do apologise fr my late reply, but I re-cap this work today.

LauraFP
5 - Atom

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it!

I'll study your case, because it can be a sulotion too and It its a great opportunity to lear about a new tool for my, Tile.

Thanks.

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@LauraFP — Thank you!

LauraFP
5 - Atom

Hi  Graziti_sapna,

Solution number 2 works perfect in my workflow, thank you so much, at the end I decided for this Tile tool!   

Labels