Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using a formula to replace certain fields

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

Hello! I have a large dataset that requires manual edits in individual fields and I would like to see if Alteryx can be used to make this manual edits. 

The affected columns are Company Name and Partner Name. I need to change the Partner Name associated to a certain company, without replacing the Partner's Name throughout the entire sheet.   Ex. ABC Company currently lists Joe Smith as the Partner Name, however I would like to change the Partner Name to John Doe. This change will affect 3 cells. 

Here is the formula I am using for this: 

Output Column = Partner Name

IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN [Partner Name]='John Doe' ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

The formula does not produce an error, however, it does output a "0" in the Partner Name fields I am looking to update. When I changed the Output Column to Company Name, it deleted all values in the entire Company Name column. 

Ideally I would like to determine a way to make this individual cell changes using Alteryx for many other situations in this sheet as well. 

Thank you! 

2 REPLIES 2
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jhosmer002 this syntax should work 

Output Column = Partner Name

IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN 'John Doe' ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

For other changes you could build your if statement like this IF [Company Name]='ABC Company' THEN 'John Doe' ELSEIF 'BCd Company' THEN "Sarah Doe" ELSE [Partner Name] ENDIF

Or you could adopt an approach of having your manual changes in a text put and using a join to replace the key fields. I've attached a workflow to showcase this. 

jhosmer002
7 - Meteor

It worked! Thank you! 

Labels