Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Render and output file tool to same excel workbook

jchan58
8 - Asteroid
Am getting excel error when I try to open the output file generated by both render and excel output file, saying its corrupted and repaired.

The output file consists 2 worksheets, one of the worksheet using output file tool has large data set (30 columns x 300k rows), the other sheet with small data set is output from Render tool.

I could have used render tool for both sheets, but file size will be enormous.

I try to use parallel block until done to ensure both sheets wont override at the same time.

Weird the workflow complete with no issue but Getting that excel error message. The output file is showing empty data for one of the worksheet. Anyone encounter something similar?
47 REPLIES 47
fsalmon
7 - Meteor

@DavidP wrote:

@KasiaP , in answer to your questions:

The Render tool only has one page size that is used for all sheets.

Have a look at the attached workflow that shows how I've dealt with sheets with different widths using a render tool.

I basically insert empty blocks with report text tools either side of the table that has reduced width.

I was having the same issue as @KasiaP. This solution was tricky to get to work with a really wide custom page layout. For some reason the smaller table kept widening as the page size increased, despite attempting to use the fix, and percentage options for width. I found when I dramatically increased the number of spaces in the text tools either side of the table, this solved the problem.

Jayan_alteryx
7 - Meteor

Hi David,

I tried to use the same flow and it worked properly. Thanks a lot for that first.

But whenever I am trying to open the Excel file, its showing an error that the file is corrupt and as whether you want to recover the file or not. This is the only problem that I am facing now.

The error is attached.

Please suggest.

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jayan_alteryx 

Do you use a latest version?

According to the release notes, older Designer(2021.4.1.04899) has the following issue.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1668433028215.png

Jayan_alteryx
7 - Meteor

Hi,

We are using Alteryx version 2021.2.1.35394

Jayan_alteryx
7 - Meteor

The XML error that I am getting :-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

-<recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">

<logFileName>error125560_01.xml</logFileName>

<summary>Errors were detected in file '\\wtc5share\MI\Jayan\Alteryx\Monthly Reports\Test\Render_Excel_Details_New.xlsx'</summary>

-<additionalInfo>

<info>Excel completed file level validation and repair. Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded.</info>

</additionalInfo>

-<removedRecords>

<removedRecord>Removed Records: Worksheet properties from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedRecord>

</removedRecords>

</recoveryLog>

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Please try to use the newer Designer(e.g. 2022.1).

Jayan_alteryx
7 - Meteor

Hi ,

Please suggest if there is any other solution other than upgrading the version.

tristank
11 - Bolide

@DavidP I know this post is very old but your solution was very interesting! I just had one question: With the join tool that has a join condition that will never produce a join, does it just give up attempting after all the outputs are done and then pass through the left and right inputs when there are no more processes that have to happen. Once again very interesting and thanks!

Labels