Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using Generate Rows to Duplicate Rows Without a Suffix and Then Add Suffix As Needed

Anthony_A2
5 - Atom

Hi All,

This is my first time using the generate rows tool and I could use some help. Essentially I have a table where the column "Key 2" has some records that contain the suffix -A,-B,-C and some that do not. I would like to duplicate my rows without a suffix and add the missing suffix on. 

To break down what I want to do: IF the last two characters in Key 2 does not contain -A,-B, or -C then duplicate that row and add -A, -B, and -C to those rows as needed. 

If my original table is:

Key 1Key 2
A1ABC-A
A1ABC-B

A1

ABC-C

B2

CBA

B2

CBA-A

C3

ZZZ

D4

DDD

I want to go to:

Key 1Key 2
A1ABC-A
A1ABC-B

A1

ABC-C

B2

CBA

B2

CBA-A

B2

CBA-B

B2

CBA-C

C3

ZZZ

C3

ZZZ-A

C3

ZZZ-B

C3

ZZZ-C

D4

DDD

D4

DDD-A

D4

DDD-B

D4

DDD-C

I feel like this is a generate rows function and I'm having trouble figuring out the syntax/setup. Let me know if you have any ideas!

2 REPLIES 2
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Anthony_A2 

Here is how you can do it. I am creating the comibations and keeping only single occurence.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1630591546715.png

Hope this helps : )

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Anthony_A2 

Here's my solution to this:

1. Use formula to remove suffixes in original data
  2. Summarize to get unique values
  3. Append A, B, C to all records
  4. Join and union to get all combos

Luke_C_0-1630592026526.png