Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Updating workflow dependencies has not repaired the macros

Anthony21
6 - Meteoroid

I've been trying to fix a colleague's broken workflow by updating the workflow dependencies. The macros, two macros repeated 100 times in the workflow, are broken (Black ? with red !). I have redirected the Workflow Dependencies to the correct macro location but this has not fixed the macro, their status remains the same. Any suggestions? Replacing the macros manually is approximately 2 minutes per macros as clicking each macro to edit it takes this time to become live. It's fair to say there are no Alteryx power users within this team as we are all still learning. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I recommend getting to those dependencies before it's opened in Designer. In this scenario, I think some XML editing would take care of this in a snap.

- Before you open the workflow in desinger, open it in a text editor. (or input it into Alteryx as a text file)

- Locate an example of each macro reference in the text. (it might be "\..\..\..\macro.yxmc")

- use a find+replace function/tool to replace those dependencies with complete UNC paths. (like "\\directory\folder\folder\macro.yxmc")

- Open it in designer and it should be good to go, or at least valid enough to make any other dependencies you need to. 

Anthony21
6 - Meteoroid

Charlie S, thanks for your reply. Enacting those changes did not change the black ?. But looking at the XML in Notepad yielded an interesting result. Using the tool id from designer reveals the result:

</Node>
<Node ToolID="454">
<GuiSettings>
<Position x="7231" y="286.0003" />
</GuiSettings>
<Properties>
<Configuration>
<Value name="Radio Button (166)">True</Value>
<Value name="Radio Button (165)">False</Value>
<Value name="Please Select Fields To Sum">EL=True,NEL=True</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Row and Column">True</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Row Only">False</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Column Only">False</Value>
<Value name="Drop Down (231)">ProvCode</Value>
<Value name="Label">England</Value>
</Configuration>
<Annotation DisplayMode="0">
<Name />
<DefaultAnnotationText />
<Left value="False" />
</Annotation>
</Properties>
<EngineSettings />
</Node>

This is significantly different from the result for a manually fixed tool.

<Node ToolID="2736">
<GuiSettings>
<Position x="13590" y="102.0003" />
</GuiSettings>
<Properties>
<Configuration>
<Value name="Radio Button (166)">True</Value>
<Value name="Radio Button (165)">False</Value>
<Value name="Please Select Fields To Sum">EL=True,NEL=True</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Row and Column">False</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Row Only">False</Value>
<Value name="Add Total Column Only">True</Value>
<Value name="Drop Down (231)">ProvCode</Value>
<Value name="Label">England</Value>
</Configuration>
<Annotation DisplayMode="0">
<Name />
<DefaultAnnotationText />
<Left value="False" />
</Annotation>
<MetaInfo connection="Output">
<RecordInfo>
<Field name="ProvCode" size="255" source="CrossTab:Group:Sum:" type="V_String" />
<Field name="Organisation_Name" size="255" source="CrossTab:Group:Sum:" type="V_String" />
<Field name="EL" source="CrossTab:Header:EL or NEL:EL:Sum:" type="Int64" />
<Field name="NEL" source="CrossTab:Header:EL or NEL:NEL:Sum:" type="Int64" />
<Field name="Total" source="Summarize: Sum - Value" type="Int64" />
</RecordInfo>
</MetaInfo>
</Properties>
<EngineSettings Macro="WORKING UNC ADDRESS" />
</Node>

I think its the business between <RecordInfo></RecordInfo> that would be a challenge to fix with a find and replace, though it might be feasible with an older version of the workflow and some patience. Probably quicker doing it in Notepad than Designer given that the size of the workflow creates the performance problem noted above. I have a plan of attack now so this is pretty much a note for the community.

I would be interested though for any wisdom on what might have caused this corruption. I think its not the first time its happened in this team, but the first time on this scale.

Anthony

Anthony21
6 - Meteoroid

This has a lot of similarities with other posts:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Errors-Moving-Batch-Macro-Workflows/m-...

I have now fixed this problem with an older, non-corrupted version of the workflow following Charlie S's directions.

Anthony

jc0528
5 - Atom

I have the same issue, and the reason for the failure is that within my macros, they are also dependent on absolute path files.

To solve the problem, go to each macro you have to go to Options -> Advanced Options -> Workflow Dependencies, and click "All relative", and click "Ok". Save the macros. Go back to main workflow, and do the same again. Hope this helps anyone pondering on the annoying reset / revert of the path settings.

Labels