Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Summarize tool does not return max value

mina_ran
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx, and I am currently working with a sample dataset trying to explore the different tools available. I have a dataset containing state information - state, area square mile, average household size, and total population. I am using the sort tool in order to display the area square mile per state in descending order, because I am trying to find out which state is the largest (I checked "Use Dictionary Order") . So now, the state with the highest area square mile is at the top row of my dataset.

In addition, I added the summarize tool, trying to get it to display MAX "area square mile" (which should technically be the exact same number). However, these two methods do not produce the same figures. Because the dataset is very small, I was able to manually check the results. The sort tool retrieves the highest number (and the corresponding state etc.) while the summarize tool retrieves a seemingly random number (it is not the largest one). Does anybody know why?

I suspect it may have something to do with the data type (it is currently V_String), but I cannot understand how those two tools could provide different numbers.

2 REPLIES 2
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@mina_ran You are correct. The field datatype does matter. When sorting numbers formatted as strings, it will list everything starting with a 1, then everything with a 2, and so on. You will need to change your datatype via a select tool or other methods to ensure you get the correct results.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Try changing the datatype to Double with a Select tool before the Summarize tool. The Max property in the Summarize tool will only work correctly on numbers if they are numeric data types.

Labels