Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Simba ODBC Driver for Google Big Query not working in Alteryx Designer

Zoechen
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the ODBC driver for Google Big Query in Alteryx Designer but keep getting an error. In the ODBC administrator, when I test the driver it says I've successfully connected to the data source, but when I try to use the driver with the input tool, I get the error 'no columns returned'.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @Zoechen , does the query builder pop up for you? Check out this article on how to configure ODBC data connections: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Connect-to-an-ODBC-Data-Sour...

There is also a Google BigQuery connector that you may find useful 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

that is your ODBC 64 connection window  - have you set up an in-db connection in Alteryx as well? Try it as a generic ODBC connection.

Zoechen
5 - Atom

Hi @michelle_mathews, thanks for the info. Yes the query builder does pop up for me in Alteryx, but when I test the code which works perfectly fine in Big Query, I get the message 'Error opening "select ...": No columns returned.'

Also the code works for my colleagues

Zoechen
5 - Atom

Hi @apathetichell, yes I am using the generic ODBC connection in Alteryx. I keep getting the error message ''Error opening "select ...": No columns returned.' in the pop up query builder

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Hey @Zoechen - there's a few reasons why you could be seeing this so let's start with double checking connectivity:

1) can you choose a random table in your BQ tables and connect to it (and attach a browse tool) can you see it?

2) can you check on the table naming syntax (sorry I can't remember how Alteryx renders BQ tables but my hunch is it's something like 'projectid'.'dataset'.'table' - and compare that to how you are calling your tables/view in the sql which is returning 0 columns. try to match the internal syntax.

3) assuming 1 and 2 both work - you can try to analyze if there is something off on the sql (ie a where clause looking for a value which doesn't exsist) or if you do not have permission to access one or more of the tables referenced.  This requires taking things apart and can take a bit...

can you also confirm if your project is correctly selected & your DB is correctly selected in your ODBC 64?

Zoechen
5 - Atom

Thanks for your help @apathetichell. In the end it was an issue with compatibility of the driver and Alteryx. I reinstalled an older version of the driver that works for my colleague and it fixed the issue. 

UmaBharathiS
5 - Atom

Hi,

We are trying to make the DCM connection available in the Alteryx server(2023.1 version). But when we are trying to link the credential, we got an error message saying "Schema 'Connection/database-odbc-dsn-bigquery' is not valid. Try to re-install used plugin or contact Customer Support". Can anyone help to resolve this issue?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Have you contacted Customer Support?

Labels