Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Select input in app

rowada
7 - Meteor

Hi,
I just started using Alteryx and here is my problem:
I have a Workflow which reads a database and selects data. Afterwards I want to apply a filter on the extracted data.
Everything in an app where the user defines the value for the filter. This app is submitted several times where the filter might change.

In order not to connect each time to the database I want to do it only with the first submission and store the result afterwards. In the second run I want to point to the stored file.
The solution might be: If FileExist(temporary output) then use the file as input; otherwise get the data from the database.
Question: How would this be implemented in an app?
Thanks a lot

ROGER

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@rowada (Roger),

If in the context of your use of the application you know the answer, "Does the extract exist" there is a straight-forward way of accessing the cached data.  You can use a Radio Button to choose between an extract and the cached data.  Using the Buttons, you can action DISABLE on containers that exist in your workflow.  Create the two inputs (DB & yxdb) and union the results together.  When you choose DB input, then the cached container is disabled and the DB input writes to a cached file.  When you choose yxdb, the DB container is disabled.

I have a posted idea for a programmatic detour (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Product-Ideas/Programmatic-Detour/idi-p/12763) with 48 stars.  You could be #49.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
rowada
7 - Meteor

thank you very much - the solution works fine.

ROGER

Labels