Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Runtime Settings

billygreenway
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

My team and I are currently looking at editing some of the code in the Runtime settings for Alteryx Designer.

We have seen that there seem to be Runtime Settings in two different locations:

1. C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\RuntimeSettings.xml
  2. C:\Program Files\Alteryx\RuntimeData\RuntimeSettings.xml

My understanding is that the Program Files xml is static and is set when Alteryx is installed, and that the Program Files xml writes to the ProgramData xml.

My question is, how does the ProgramData RuntimeSettings xml get written to? Is it over-written to every time Alteryx is launched?

What are the use cases for editing the ProgramData or Program Files xml?

Thanks for your help,

Billy

4 REPLIES 4
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @billygreenway 

A couple thoughts for you. 

• Not trying to be your mother here 😉 but do be very careful if you are going to edit the settings file. You mess that up, you won't be able to run Alteryx and will need to reinstall
  • If I were going to make any changes I would use the UI to ensure you don't make any mistakes. You can do that by going to Program Files > Alteryx > bin > AlteryxConfiguration.exe 

joshuaburkhow_0-1611663428230.png

Curious to why you would want to edit the runtime settings? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
billygreenway
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @joshuaburkhow ,

Thanks for your reply!

We are looking to package Alteryx in order to perform an upgrade across our organisation and want to change some of the default runtimesettings code specifically in order to be able to roll this out to multiple users at once.

We also don't have system settings enabled for security reasons.

Best,

Billy

somervill
7 - Meteor

Hi Joshua, wondering if you;ve every bumped into the situation that when we try to edit the system setting and it turns out to be the following msg back:

somervill_0-1661869911927.png

KulakValeriy
5 - Atom

I'm getting the same error. Did you ever get it resolved? 

Labels