Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rename Macro Inputs

jvigneault
6 - Meteoroid

I have a Macro which takes in a number of fields from the user. The fields are all of the type "SomeText_"+"ABCD". I have an Input containing "ABCD" because I don't actually know what "SomeText_" will be in each data set. Is there a way to have the user provide "SomeText_" in a Text Box Input, which then updates the Field Names in the Field Map, which would then allow the macro to automatically select all of the correct fields from the provided data? 

In my current setup, Alteryx requires the user to manually select all of the required fields, for each of multiple macros, which significantly increases the potential for user error.

4 REPLIES 4
mst3k
11 - Bolide

you just want to dynamically select fields that begin with a word input by the user? does this solve what you're trying to do?

i have sales, stores, and cost fields for Kansas_ and Indianapolis_ and if i put Kansas in the macro, it only returns the Kansas fields, if I put Indianapolis into the macro, it only returns the Indianapolis fields. is that the obstacle?

mst3k_0-1633067262238.png

jvigneault
6 - Meteoroid

Not quite. I have a Macro that needs to connect to fields. In the attached, I'd like to input Indianapolis as the text input, then have "Indianapolis_Sales", "Indianapolis_Stores", etc automatically connected to the Macro Input Field Map.

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

How about this, added a dynamic rename to @mst3k's solution to rename the columns as just Sales / Stores / Cost.  You could then continue using those in your macro but they are all the ones linked to the user entered text.

jvigneault
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks both for your help. Not quite what I was looking for (which seems to not be possible), but using some combo of the above, I've managed to come up with a solution that should eliminate potential for user-error.

Labels