Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Removing special characters from multiple fields

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I have a requirement to remove special characters from 5 fields. the list includes , ! ()# ' ;/ \ @ and replace them with space

the only 2 special characters that I need to retain are - &

Which function should I be using?

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek,

I am missing something obvious because I am quite sure that you can do that with one multi-field tool but I am not sure how to make it work. 

Emil_Kos_0-1623444499917.png

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Emil, thanks for your help. I will take a look and also wait for other experts to chime in!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@Emil_Kos  - FYI I think your formula doesn't account for special characters in regex (ie "!","(", and")" all need to be accessed via the exit character "\")...

@Idyllic_Data_Geek  this is working in the regex tool set to replace, don't copy unmatched text option:

([\d\w\-\&\s]+)

But I can't get it to work directly in the formula tool, because regex. If you don't get a better answer you can transpose and run that and then crosstab but obviously it's yucky.

This is an imperfect but a formula tool version:

regex_replace(tostring([_currentfield_]),"([\[\]\/\(\)\'\!\,;?\.]+)","$2") -  The problem is that I can't get the positive character set to work...hmm.

I'm happier with this one:

replace(tostring([_currentfield_]),regex_replace(tostring([_currentfield_]),"([\w\&\-\d]+)","$2"),"")

T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

HI @Idyllic_Data_Geek,

Building on what @Emil_Kos built and the comments by @apathetichell.  I was able to get this to work in a single Multi-Field Formula tool using the formula 

REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], "[,!\(\)#';\\/@]", ' ')

This uses the exit (escape) to tell RegEx to find the special characters instead of using the special characters.  For more information on Perl Syntax used by RegEx formulas and tools, I recommend this guide on Community:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/RegEx-Perl-Syntax-Guide/ta-p/1288

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@T_Willins- great job - I something really similar but with "$1" in the replacement and since the regex_replace formula version always includes unmatched text it ended up not working. I like the empty set in the replacement. My last entry did work - but that replace(x,regex_replace(...) is a messy format...

Labels