Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Regex expression to split into rows based on entire word???

Rosh_2788
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I have the entire dataset in one cell in excel. I'm trying to split it into different rows based on a specific word. Each new entry starts with the work 'Provider'. So i'm basically looking for a formula where when it reaches the word Provider it moves the entire text to the next row. 

I'm assuming regex has something to do this instantly, but i'm not well versed with regex, but wouldn't mind via formula tool as well

Dataset - 
Provider ID #: XXXX Office #: 111 name - dr - address, PA 999 (111) 000-0000 Provider ID #: YYYY Office #: 222 name - GP dr - address, NJ 888 (222) 111-1111

Output required - 

Provider ID #: XXXX Office #: 111 name - dr - address, PA 999 (111) 000-0000

Provider ID #: YYYY Office #: 222 name - GP dr - address, NJ 888 (222) 111-1111

Once I have this, i plan to then split the provider, office, name, address, phone using text to column on delimiters 

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

reconstitute.pngcreate an identifier.pngsplit by space.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Rosh_2788 

Provider ID #:.+?\d{3}\s\(\d{3}\)\s\d{3}\-\d+

binuacs_0-1640791151850.png

Rosh_2788
7 - Meteor

@binuacs thank you, this works for me! for my knowledge, could you please explain the expression?

@apathetichell thanks for looking into this, however, i wasn't able to follow, my dataset i already grouped/concatenated in one cell

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Rosh_2788 @The Regex expression looking for a pattern which starting with the text “Provider ID #:.” then any characters followed by this text then ending with the pattern d{3}\s\(\d{3}\)\s\d{3}\-\d+,

Labels