Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex_Match with multiple strings and ()

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to filter the following strings from a column by using REGEX_MATCH. The issue here is few of them have '()' and I tried using the following formula but it doesn't seem to be working

American Depository Receipt (ADR)

Corporate Bond

Government Bond

Global Depository Receipt (GDR)

REGEX_Match([Security Type], 'American Depository Receipt\s\(ADR\)\Corporate Bond/Government Bond\Global Depository Receipt\s\(GDR\)')

Is there any other way I can do this?

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vvissamsetty 

Regards to your REGEX, the alternation character is "|" and not "\"

REGEX_Match([Security Type], 'American Depository Receipt\s\(ADR\)|Corporate Bond|Government Bond|Global Depository Receipt\s\(GDR\)')

Still I think you could use a Contains Function which would work better than a REGEX in terms of performance.

Cheers,

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Just wanted to chime in with one more recommendation - if you're looking for a series of different terms, and only those specific terms, the Find Replace Tool is great for this, since you can easily configure it to scale better, where a Contains() format (or a RegEx) might become very difficult to read if you had more than 3 or 4 search terms.

You can configure Find Replace to Append fields when it finds a match, and then filter out any case where there is or is not a match using that new column.

From a pure speed perspective, it may be slower than a Formula or a RegEx (although not by much), but it is a lot more maintainable in my opinion.

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Thableaus. For some reason Contains wasn't working and I came across Regex in few discussions as an alternative.

vvissamsetty
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @Claje . I will keep this in mind.

Labels