Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Outputting summarised data to excel for further analysis and charting

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Hi all

I am reasonably new to Alteryx, and require the use of the processing power of Alteryx to read and summarise excel data files that we cannot process efficiently in excel. I would like to summarise the data and send back to excel in a generalised output sheet that is set up to continually update with a new (or altered) data set to produce in mass different tables and graphs to be used in reports and slides.

I have attached an example workflow that produces some of the results I require, however the method used is not practical given I will need many, many tabs in the excel sheet to produce the graphs required, and they do not update as required.

Ideally, I'd like to break up and summarise the data as much as possible to produce lots of graphs to compare to other data sets too, and with as much automation of the process as this task is done on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
gc
9 - Comet

So my thought here is that you might consider writing your Alteryx output datasets to their own "data only" Sheets in an Excel file, then do your charts and pivot tables on other Sheets with reference to the data on your "data only" Sheets. I believe if you write your Alteryx output to Excel with the Output Option= Overwrite Sheet, then as your data updates in Excel your charts and pivots are preserved and reference the updated data. I've done something similar for one of my clients that works fairly well, so you might try that approach and see if it works for you.

isaac_lane
7 - Meteor

Thankyou, I've had a play around with this and will suit my purpose well.

Labels