Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple JSON Input files: how to keep track of original files?

gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

I really like the introduction of the new JSON reading feature in Alteryx 10, but I have a problem with it.

Previously, I used to input JSON files by reading them in as simple CSV files and by adjusting some settings (delimiter set to "\0"; first row contains field names set to NO) and then later parsing the fields by using the JSON parser tool. Before using the JSON parser, I also tend run a RecordID on the dataset, so that each inputted file will carry a uniqe ID that I can use to match up with the parsed JSON data records at a later stage. Although I considered this as workaround solution, it did the job just fine.

With the new JSON reader feature I thought I could make this process slightly more efficient by eliminating the need to fiddle with CSV settings and having to use the JSON parser. However, I encountered a problem. When I read in multiple JSON files from a single location (which is normally the case with my workflows) by using the JSON reader, the records from the files are parsed into two fields automatically and there is no option to RecordID the originating files. This means that if I read in multiple files with the JSON reader, I lose the ability to track back JSON elements to their original JSON file. As this is a crucial issue for me, at the moment I cannot utlise the JSON reader as it is.

Can anyone suggest a solution? If there is none, perhaps it could be a good feature to add to the JSON reader?  

6 REPLIES 6
gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

Example of two JSON files inputted as CSV files. Note that the end results contains RecordID for the two separate files - this allows me to track back the JSON records to their origin.

gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

Example of the same two JSON files inputted as JSON. No ability to include RecordIDs.

gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

Sorry, did not package the files. Here is the new one.

gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

And the other one.

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

There is an option in the input tool to include the filename as a column.

options.png

Every row then has the filename attached

James

gabor_szalai
7 - Meteor

Great! Thanks very much!

Labels