Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Matching STRINGS

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi All,

I have the below requirements and i have attached the sample Data along with Expected Output.

- Consider only employee in ST1 and ST2 (User Tab) for further below logic.

-  Concatenate First Name and Last Name in the User Tab and use this Concatenate field to check on the
                PRODUCTS tab on the PROD NAME Column and see if there is a USER belongs to ST1 or ST2 and create a new
                column with a Flag.

- Use the EMP ID from the User Tab and use this field to check on the
                MARKET tab on the PROD USER ID Column and see if there is a USER belongs to ST1 or ST2 and create a new
                column with a Flag.

Thanks Many

9 REPLIES 9
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @suby ,

this is slightly different to the one yesterday, so I've used a different approach.

This time, I've done the concatenation as you said (be careful with the name fields having trailing spaces, you may need to add a space in the formula tool then remove duplicates).

I've then used the same Find and Replace functionality to determine if a value is within another field.

mceleavey_0-1650452762798.png

This gives the following outputs:

mceleavey_1-1650452790621.png

mceleavey_2-1650452806073.png

You can find out more about the Find and Replace tool HERE.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

For the concatenate, you can use the Formula tool to create a new field like this [First Name] + " " + [Last Name]

To  "check on" other tabs, use the Join tool.  

What have you tried so far?  Can you share the workflow you have now, or do you not know where to start?

Here's a link to the Learning Paths: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Learning-Paths/tkb-p/learning-path

Chris

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Mceleavey,

Yeah it was different as said before thanks could you please share the workflow.

Thanks

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing i wasn't sure about where to start but thanks for referring the learning paths.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Oops!

Workflow attached.

M.

Bulien

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Mceleavey,

Thank you so much..

suby
11 - Bolide

Hi Mceleavey,

Thanks the solution works and have a quick question say on the PRODUCTS tab i have another field PROD_USER_NAME with the same values as PROD_NAME filed in that case how to handle the ,multiple fields to check ?

Thanks

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@suby ,

If you have another field and want to perform the same check, then simply copy and paste the last three tools on the first row:

mceleavey_0-1650467560733.png

...and replace the fields with the new fields you want to cross-reference.

It's the same process.

If you look into what the Find and Replace tool is doing it becomes easy to replicate that functionality across any fields you want.

M.

Bulien

suby
11 - Bolide

Thanks Mceleavey,

Much appreciated the solution works for me and i have one more scenario   say we have 3 TABS  like User, PRODUCT_1 and PRODUCT_2 in this scenario and the PRODUCT_1 & PRODUCT_2  has similar field names with similar values.(In this Case PROD NAME).

But in the actual data we have Multiple Sheets from PRODUCT_1 ...TO PRODUCT_25 say almost 25 sheets.

I want to build a Macro  using the Find and Replace Logic as you did before so that it goes and check every sheet for that specific fields and

Option 1 - creates a new Flag Field which Matches those name from the User Tab as we did before.

Option 2 - Wherever there is match just put a text saying 'MASKED' 

and when we do the option 2 and i want the Output result set to be as same format as Input Data set meaning with three tabs.

Thanks Attached the Sample Data.

Labels