Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Loop through SQL table and build SQL string using value of each record

user_km
8 - Asteroid

I have reports in database tables that are separated by group name. The group names exist in a separate table on a different database. They all have the same fields but with different table names like Report_Group_1, Report_Group_2, etc. The group names exist in a separate table and I want to combine them together. I want to build a SQL statement that uses union all to combine the Report tables so it would be something like

SELECT * FROM Report_Group_1 UNION ALL SELECT * From Report_Group_2 

etc..

I figure that the most efficient way to do this would be to loop through each record in the [Group] table to create a string variable that is updated as it loops through each value in the [Group] table. After it iterates through every record, the string variable is executed as a query on the database. How would I do this in Alteryx? I think I would use an iterative macro to loop through each record in he [Group] table but I'm not sure how to go about building a string variable that updates as each record is iterated through.

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
I wonder if you could read table 1 and bring the results back and then use the summarize to concatenate the table list.

Start: Select * from
Separator: blank
End: Union All (space)

Concatenate (Strings Only): Takes all the records in a group and concatenates the strings.

Concatenate Properties: You can insert any character or string in the boxes listed below, or leave them blank. Supported escape characters include: \n (new line), \t (tab), \r (carriage return), \s (white space character)
Start: The character specified will appear at the beginning of the concatenated string. It is left blank by default.
Separator: The character specified will appear in between each value of the concatenated string. The default is a comma (,).
End: The character specified will appear at the end of the concatenated string. It is left blank by default.

Then cleanup the results for proper syntax.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
user_km
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew

Your suggestion basically worked right away without the need for any cleanup. The only thing I adjusted was instead of Union All (space) at the End, I used UNION ALL SELECT * FROM (space).

I think this solution was much more efficient than using a macro to loop through each record in the list to build the string.

Thanks!

Labels