Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Joins where "left" dataset contains blanks

DavidOliverChapman
7 - Meteor

I have a third-party dataset showing transactions for various geographies across EMEA. I have - seperately - a list of in-house classifications (for instance, grouping different types of retail use. I have tried doing a join to join the in house fields to the third-party data. I have tried to use the "Use" column - retail, logistics, data centre etc. - to append the in house descriptors to the dataset. However, as the in-house descriptors do not cover all of the categories in the use column, it the resulting joined dataset is missing a large number of records.

I am thinking in terms of a VLOOKUP almost, where I could use an if statement to effectively say if the USE column contains Retail, then lookup, else, "".

Is there a better way to do this (inevitably, yes!), or any suggestions about how to ignore, but keep, blank entries?

DOC

2 REPLIES 2
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @DavidOliverChapman

have you tried the Find and Replace tool in the Append mode?

clipboard_image_0.png

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @DavidOliverChapman 

Assuming you have your 3rd party connected to the L and In-house connected to the R

The standard way to handle this is to use a union after the join to combine the records  coming out of the L and J outputs.  Of course, you'll have null in the unioned table corresponding to columns from the R input that did not match, but you'll get all the records from the L input

Is this what you're looking for or are you trying to infer values for the records that don't match?

Dan

Labels