Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Join and Group nightmare

SyxRyx
7 - Meteor

Hi

I've been breaking my head with a problem which looks quite simple and yet, I just keep running around in circle and can't get my workflow to work. I am an average, not advanced user.

I have the following data sample (real data is several thousand lines by 32 columns)

SyxRyx_0-1648060906612.png

Each [Project #] is unique. I want to get the total sales by Project Group, like this:

SyxRyx_1-1648060956812.png

The problem is the data is incomplete. Here are the issues:

Green: I need to sum the sales but retain the Project # and Name corresponding to the Project Group. Not first or last or whatever, but the one matching the Group Name.

Grey: The project # corresponding to the Project Group by does not exist, I need to replace those Project # by the Project Group and sum.

Amber: Project 100-09 belongs to a group but the info is missing. I need to change to Project Group to 100-09 before grouping

The rest are projects that don't belong to a group and need to be left a they are

So if anyone wants to take a crack at this, I'd really appreciate the help!

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This workflow will solve it for you with the exception of 100-05 which does not have a project number/name combo in your initial data. Workflow is attached. 

BrandonB_0-1648066344373.png

SyxRyx
7 - Meteor

Thanks BrandonB

That does not work. The 100-09 group is still split and the missing 100-05 is still missing. The easy matching and summarizing I can do... It's taking care of the exeptions that I can't figure out.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I was able to handle the logic for the 100-09 group by taking the records with a null project group themselves, but match to project groups of others to be bundled in: 

BrandonB_0-1648137299007.png

I haven't included logic for the missing name of 100-05 yet because I'm not sure how you want it handled. From your original data set, 100-04 and 100-06 are both in group 100-05 and it looks like you desire the name to be DDDD which corresponds with 100-04. In this type of scenario do you just want the first name from the project numbers in the group? 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I figured this was the only logic way to account for missing names. Here is the solution and workflow is attached:

BrandonB_0-1648137790212.png

SyxRyx
7 - Meteor

Nice trick for the 100-09. Thanks.

For the 100-05 case, I will most likely want to use some sorting and take the first occurance of the sorted subgroup (Top Sales, for example). 

Really appreciated

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Perfect, so my V3 example attached above should be ideal. You could do additional sorting in the workflow to make the first occurrence of the name reflect your ideal sorting scenario by adding a sort prior to the summarize on the bottom part of the workflow. 

SyxRyx
7 - Meteor

Thanks. I'll test this with real data and see if all cases are handled.

Labels