Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input more than one Excel file in one macro

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

I have a simple workflow that reads an area from an Excel sheet into a database.

But when I try to turn it into a macro that runs through a directory full of Excel files with the same structure and imports all the areas from each file, it never works.

I've looked at all the examples of importing many files/many sheets, and I cannot get mine to work.

I use a directory tool to feed the full path to my macro.

In the macro, the Control parameter takes the full path and feeds it to the Action tool with a "replace string" option that equals the full path of the Data Input tool.

The Data Input tool has a SQL query to target the cells (Select * From '<sheetname>$c6:c72').

The whole process works, but only for the first file in the directory. I do not need to import more than one sheet per file and only need the specific range above for all of them.

(Note - the attached uses an example directory and filename, so ignore the error there.)

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

11 REPLIES 11
asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Debugging strategies probably deserve their own topic.

Thanks for the advice.

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

A couple of additional tricks that my workflow needed:

- Since each sheet represented a different record, we had to add a record ID to each and then pivot the results on that ID (Cross Tab tool). Otherwise, the output would have been a single column with all the data unioned one after the other.

Labels