Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input Data wildcard not working when there are blank columns

nrubner1
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am trying to use an input data wildcard to read in 12 files of the exact same format / column names. For approx. half of the files, Alteryx is reading 2 blank columns to the far right of the dataset as F30/31. I believe this is why the wildcard is not working. 

I am confused why this is breaking the input given that if you use a union tool the files would still stack, you would just have a files showing nulls for those two blank columns. 

Given there is no way to configure the columns to be brought in on a wildcard, is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance! 

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @nrubner1,

try using this macro. It comes with a workflow where you can try it out.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

nrubner1
7 - Meteor

Hi 

Thanks for the macro! This is a great tool, but unfortunately doesn't fully solve my question:

I need to read in from row 15 of each file only. I guess I could go in and amend the macro, but I was hoping to find a solution that would be accessible to beginner users also.

I was also keen to understand if this issue was resolvable di

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @nrubner1,

Well then you could also create a batch macro and pass the names of the excels. If you like I could create you an example.

Regards

nrubner1
7 - Meteor

Batch macro is easy for this one so would be able to build ourselves - was more hoping for clarification on whether this is a limitation of wildcards. Thanks for the offer though!

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @nrubner1,

As you said yes, this is a limitation of the wildcards. Inputs need to have the same columns (column names and amount) and same data types to be able to merge all the files.

Regards

nrubner1
7 - Meteor

Thanks, useful to know. 

Is there a reason you are aware of that some Excel files are read in with blank columns and others are not?

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @nrubner1,

If you had used those columns previously, even if there is no data now, they are already flagged by the excel. The only way to get to remove them completely would be to select the ones and completely delete them.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Labels