Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

If/Then To combine two columns into one

NicoleMA
7 - Meteor

I can never seem to get these If/Then Statements right! I have one that should be pretty easy....and I don't know maybe if/then isn't even the right way to go?! I am open to suggestions if there is a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do!

In snapshot below you can see I have added two columns to indicate what kind of store it is....Non-Divest and Divest. I don't want to see these two columns though. I only want to see one column so I'm tyring to use the formula tool and an If/Then to add a column in that says "Store Type" and will indicate either "Non-Divest" or "Divestiture".

If-Then Two columns into one.JPG

First Try:

IF Contains([Non-Divest Store],"Non-Divest Store") THEN "Non-Divest Store"  Elseif

[Divestiture Store],"Divestiture Store" then "Divestiture Store" ENDIF

Second Try:

If [Non-Divest Store]="Non-Divest Store" THEN "Non-Divest Store"  
ELSEIF [Divestiture Store]="Divestiture Store"" THEN "Divestiture Store"
ENDIF

Thanks in advance!!

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Max([Divestiture Store],[Non-Divesit Store])

A different approach for you.
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NicoleMA
7 - Meteor

Thanks!

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

Thanks @MarqueeCrew for another way to do this frequent task...I hadn't thought to use Max().

In the interest of providing an answer using IF/THEN, here's what I would do:

If IsEmpty([Non-Divest Store]) Then [Divestiture Store] Else [Non-Divest Store] EndIf

@NicoleMA -- Your logic seems fine, but both of your examples are set up as IF...THEN...ELSEIF...THEN...ENDIF.

Correct syntax is either:

IF...THEN...ELSE...ENDIF

or

IF...THEN...ELSEIF...THEN...ELSE...ENDIF

Labels