Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Identifying correspondances

GerardPowers
5 - Atom

Dear all,

I am a new Alteryx user and am currently practicing on a client dataset (50k entries). Data is under following format :

CompanyCommon  IDClient code
A1001
A2002
B2AAA
B2AAB
A3003
B3AAC
B4AAD

As you can see, each company has its own client code format. My goal is to automatically match for the same common ID the company A client code and company B client code, with following rules :

• If for a given client code there is no client code in the other company : show "None"
  • If for a given client code there is only 1 client code in the other company : show this code
  • If for a given client code there are several matches in the other company : show "Several"

Therefore, the expected output is the following :

Client codeCompany A client codeCompany B client code
001001None
002002Several
AAA002AAA
AAB002AAB
003003AAC
AAC003AAC
AADNoneAAD

What would be the alteryx workflow to use in this case ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Best regards 

4 REPLIES 4
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This was an interesting one because of the way you leverage the client code on the left hand side of the data set that reflects all combinations. Workflow is attached. 

lookups.png

GerardPowers
5 - Atom

Thank you very much Brandon, it works well !

I really enjoy the possibility of having all matches listed and separated by a ",", just before your last formula tool. However, I'd like to remove duplicates (ex: for 1 company A client code, I may have "AAA, AAA, AAA, AAA, ABC" and I'd like only to have "AAA, ABC").

How would you proceed ? 

Thanks again

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you give this one a try? I added in some additional logic that should clear those duplicates before it gets to the formula tool. Workflow is attached. 

GerardPowers
5 - Atom

Thank you very much, it is perfect !

Labels