Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help with Batch Macro for multiple TXT files w/differ schema

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I am trying to figure out how to create a batch macro to pull in all the TXT files from a particular directory.  The TXT files may have some of the same fields and others will have extra columns -  therefore different schema.  In the actual workflow, I am assuming I will use a Directory tool first, but I am not sure what to do after that.  Do I need a Dynamic Input tool after the Directory tool and then add the batch macro after the Dynamic Input?  I am not sure how to configure everything. If it is a TXT file, I'm assuming I don't need to define a "sheet" like an Excel file, correct?  If someone could refer to me to workflow with a connected batch macro that would be great.  I tried looking all around and a lot of the batch macros I have found are for Excel files and not TXT.  Thanks.  

6 REPLIES 6
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx
ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I will take a look but again, it is an example based upon Excel files that require a sheet name.  I am uncertain if I need to include a sheet name in the fullpath for the batch macro for a TXT file.  Do you know?  I have created a batch macro for Excel files before that worked but I just can't get it to work for TXT files. That is why I'm asking if someone can direct me to a specific example for TXT files.  

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@ELPC 
I think we need to know your delimiter used in all your text files.

A few samples would be better.

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

Hi, the TXT files are comma delimited.  Unfortunately, these are not my files so I let me try to mask the data to provide some sample files. 

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

This is what I have so far: 

ELPC_0-1646786071664.png

This is what is coming out of the formula tool: 

ELPC_1-1646786114204.png

This is what the macro looks like: 

ELPC_2-1646786172371.pngELPC_3-1646786194450.png

ELPC_4-1646786213287.png

I'm still getting this error:  I'm not sure where I am going wrong.  

ELPC_5-1646786292381.png

5 - Atom

Hi, I too am running into same issue. Were you able to solve for this problem? If yes, could you share your solution? TIA

Labels