Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help: Parsing Fields using Character Patterns

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

How can I parse a field to only include Regions > A > B > C > D > E ... Z and ignore everything else before it and after the last value (Z in this case) from the example below? Z would be followed by a comma, or be the end of the string.

Thank you,

W

6 REPLIES 6
ivoller
12 - Quasar

Hi,

You can use the Regex tools or functions or Text to Columns. Can you post the expected output so we can advise more fully.

Cheers,

Iain

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi ivoller,

Thanks for your response. Please see example of output in below screenshot.

Thanks ivoller!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@waqaraphoto

Like @ivoller mentioned, RegEx is the way to go here. I'm not great at RegEx, but I've attached an example that should put you on the right track.

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Hi CharlieS,

I have an idea. Would you know how to (in regex) show a word and show everything after that word?

For example:

Parse:

TS Portfolio Journal, Regions>LATAM, Regions>LATAM>Corporate and include everything for the rest of the string after the word Region is found? I can organize my data so that the Region list shows up last in the field. 

Thanks!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@waqaraphoto

Sure. Just update the Regular Expression in my attached example to: (Regions)+(.+)

waqaraphoto
7 - Meteor

Perfect, that did it for me! Thank you :) 

Labels