Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Handle different input file structures (number of fields, field positions and field names)

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a tricky subject. You could maybe bring me new visions on how to achieve it.

Context:

Several input files are received from different sources. The inputs are different (number of field, field positions and field names). What I am trying to do is to find a way to use those files to build a final one that will contain all the possible fields.

Question:

Is there a way thanks to the interface tools to ask users to match the field names they have in their inputs file with the name of a data dictionary and then update their file with the rights names (the ones of the dictionary)?

Any idea is welcome.

Please feel free to ask for more details if not enough clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Melanie

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Edit: I misread your post the first time, but I think I've got it now.

I've built an example macro that shows how I would go about doing this for 4 fields (Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4). It's a macro that will act as your input tool that forces the user to specify the file, and assign each of the four fields. Then only the four fields are output, named as the common assignment.. 

20191206-FieldMapInput.png

Check out the attached example and let me know if you have any questions. 

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @MelanieR ,

I was not sure  if  the input files have keys  to join other files  so  I tried both union and join . 

The wf attached  has sample input files  plus  the  data dictionary names .   Dynamic rename  changes names to standard names .

The last step  is  union or join .

Hope this helps . 

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @CharlieS ,

Thank you for your answer, it seems very interesting but i'm encountering an issue when testing. Indeed, I don't know if it's because I'm using csv file as input, but the list box proposes only one item containing all the field names, then I can not select the desired name: 

MelanieR_0-1575648165163.png

How could I solve this? Sorry it might be easy to solve but I'm quite new using Alteryx.

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @benakesh,

Thanks a lot for your answer but it can not solve my issue as the input fields can have different positions. Then they will not necessarely match with the order of data dictionary fields.

Anyway thanks again for your quick reply!

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The .csv file I tested didn't do that. Could you post a sample .csv file like the one you're trying to use?

MelanieR
7 - Meteor

Hi @CharlieS,

I found the issue regarding the csv file. The separator used was un semi-column. With a coma it works perfectly!

Thanks a lot for your solution, it helps a lot!!

Melanie

Labels