Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fuzzy Matching Tool Help

bobbywatkins
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all

I have a problem trying to blend some data that has slightly differing company names. My master data (aircraft expo A-Z) contains a complete listing of companies, whereas the second file brings in some financial data but the names aren't necessarily exact matches (punctuation, abbreviations etc). 

I have tried following the link https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2014/04/02/alteryx-tools-focus-fuzzy-match-make-group-unique/ but the video tutorial is a Purge and not a Merge which is what is needed here. 

I need to Fuzzy match the names that differ slightly, bring the unique data from each separate source and then combine with the population of exact matches. 

My brain is becoming fried over this and would appreciate any input from the community.

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@bobbywatkins could you please share your workflow as a .yxzp file (options export) or post your workflow with some sample data else it will be impossible for us to debug your workflow.

Ben

bobbywatkins
6 - Meteoroid

Hopefully that works, thanks Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I don't appear to be able to unzip this file either. Strange. Could you attempt to extract again.

Ben

bobbywatkins
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the data. 

Thanks

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Here is how I would do this, note I have removed your original join and the fuzzy match which match exact instances anyway.

Ben

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Here is a downgraded version (to 11.7), what version are you using?

Ben

Labels